Sunday, October 4, 2009

Welcome, Welcome, or What's in a Name?

Hello, and welcome to my new blog. The name of the blog is "Down to the Bits," a bit of lyric which I've nicked, of course, from "Happiness Is a Warm Gun." I like the way it sounds, and while I considered some other lyrical liftings -- "mOjO Filter," "Times of Trouble," and "Pointless Snide Remarks," to name a few -- not to mention various non-lyrical phrases, puns, allusions, et cetera, I guess that little bit of Lennon-y gibberish struck me as just about right for what I'd like this blog to be about -- namely, brief bits on whatever I happen to be thinking about, whether it's politics, philosophy, music, silly videos, or silly political music videos. That's a pretty vague brief, I know, and I think "Down to the Bits" is suitably vague whilst also demonstrating that I'm pretty hip and with it, at least when it comes to hugely popular music recorded some 40 years ago. Plus, I think "bits" is also some sort of computer word, like "gigawatts" or "modem" or "abacus," so, you know, there's also that.

That said, I realize that a name doesn't really matter much in comparison to the quality of whatever "product" it's attached to -- be it musical, political, bloggical, or what have you. I mean, yeah, if you called roses "stench blossoms", you'd probably color people's perceptions in a negative way, but if you're not going way far out to such extremes, a name can't matter much either way, right?

1 comment:

  1. whoever suggested you borrow the phrase "down to the bits" is an absolute genius!

    ReplyDelete